Having good food is important to me. I'm Chinese. It's in my genes.
It's so important, in fact, that it's a determining factor in where I spend time, as well as how long I can stay.
Yummy food = I can stay a while. Not so yummy = I want to go somewhere with yummy food.
During my recent visit to Sri Lanka, I was fortunate enough to sample a lot of great cuisine, courtesy of my new friend Chef Champika. Suffice it to say that I scarfed down everything he made, no matter the quantity.
Delicious food in Sri Lanka
Of all the dishes I tried, my favourite was coconut sambal. It's not too difficult to make, so I got the recipe...both so I can make it at home, and also to share with anyone else who might want to give it a try:
1 freshly grated coconut
6 cloves garlic
8pc small purple shallots (bawang)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
Juice of 1 1/2 limes
1. Roughly chop garlic and shallots.
2. Put into a pestle add salt. Pound the mixture.
3. Add chili powder and pound again until quite fine.
4. Add a handful of the grated coconut and mix.
5. Add this mixture to the rest of the grated coconut, pour in lime juice. Mix well.
Chef Champika making delicious coconut sambal