Chichen Itza

It's been a slow couple of days fish-wise, but we've been making the best of our circumstances.

Yesterday, the winds were up to at least 30 knots, and the sea was ridiculously rough…both shaken and stirred, so to speak. This is what the harbour looked like at around 06:00:

We decided not to go out on the water (in fact, I don't think anyone went out to sea yesterday), and instead, we travelled several hours by car to a place called Chichen Itza, a site with ruins from a Mayan community by the same name.

Since this is my first trip to Mexico, it goes without saying that yesterday's excursion was my virgin visit to Mayan ruins. I was impressed. The ruins of Chichen Itza comprise a large compound. Even though we wandered around for about three hours, we didn't manage to see everything.

The most prominent and primary structure at the site was quite large, as you can see from this image of me standing in front of it:

me at chichen itza

And of course, since Chichen Itza is a popular tourist attraction with busloads of people on guided tours streaming in all day long, the three of us did our best to blend in with the other visitors by acting like giddy tourists:

me at chichen itza

It's a really good thing that I had an expensive, super-wide lens with me so we could pull this photo off with such panache.

By the end of the afternoon, we were all really tired given the heat, humidity and ground we had covered. Here's a shot of Sterling and Eric taking a short break, with the main structure of Chichen Itza in the background:

chichen itza

Given our day away from the ocean, we awoke this morning with high expectations. The wind was significantly subdued, and we headed out early to look for sailfish. As it turned out, there wasn't a sailfish in sight, and from the chatter we picked up over the radio, the fishing boats weren't having much luck either.

We still have a couple of days left though, so hopefully we'll have another shot at getting in with the sailfish before we leave Isla Mujeres.